The situation in Ferguson, Missouri presents a great teaching opportunity for you and your kids. Are you taking advantage of it? There are lessons to learn about respect for authority, racism, our country’s judicial process, media hype, legitimate and illegitimate displays of frustration and a whole host of other lessons. Are you using this situation?
Perhaps a some good questions to ask would be:
- If you lived in Ferguson, what would you be doing?
- If you were a friend of Michael Brown or Darren Wilson, what would you say or have said to them?
- Did your opinion about what happened change as you heard more and more facts regarding the situation?
- Why is this case covered so much when there are many killings in our country every day?
- What is a grand jury? How does it work?
- How can YOU make sure this does not happen in your neighborhood or school?
Parents – your kids are forming opinions about this situation EVERY day. They see you react to situations like this. Take advantage and steer them in a healthy, positive and spiritual direction.